Bone Marrow Transplant and Hematological Cancer
Welcome to the Division of Blood and Bone Marrow Transplantation. Our division at the University of Louisville has its long and proud history and tradition. It was the first bone marrow transplantation program in the commonwealth of Kentucky that was established by Dr. Roger Harzig in 1986, which is also one of the very first such programs in the nation and surrounding states. Including our pediatric BMT colleagues at the University of Louisville, our program has received excellent accreditation record from the Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy (FACT) and the pediatric bone marrow transplantation program is the only FACT-accreditation pediatric program in the entire Commonwealth of Kentucky.
We are very proud of the outstanding compassionate care to our patients along with conducting state-of-the-art translational science on stem cell biology, cellular immunology, and transplantation biology. We offer the latest hematopoietic stem cell transplantation approaches by using related, unrelated and umbilical cord stem cell sources for our leukemia, lymphoma, and myeloma patients. Our renowned translational research scientists in our division also conduct a score of cutting-edge researches under the NIH and foundation support that promote and speed-up our bench research discoveries to benefit our patient care. In collaboration with our national and international colleagues, we can offer a wide variety of blood cancer, hematopoietic stem cell transplantation clinical trials, and translational research programs in our division. Our clinical faculty members are supported by an outstanding group of nurses, social workers, medical assistants, pharmacologists, psychologists, physiatrists, and hematopoietic stem cell processing personnel who are part of the KentuckyOne Health, the largest and most comprehensive healthcare system in Kentucky.
Bone Marrow Transplant and Hematological Team
BMT Stem Cell Processing Facility/Laboratory (BMT-SCPFL)
The University of Louisville BMT-SCPFL Staff are a dedicated team of highly trained and specialized Stem cell scientist and medical technologists. Their duties include stem cell apheresis collections and processing of cellular therapy products for autologous, allogeneic, cord blood, and matched/mismatched related/unrelated transplants. BMT-SCPFL Staff have more than 50 years of combined experience in hematopoietic stem cell processing and they work together to provide support to the BMT Program. The BMT-SCPFL Staff are passionate about their work and how they help in the care and treatment of our patients.
Vincent LaRussa, PhD is the BMT-SCPFL’s Scientific Director and has more than 20 years of experience in the field of stem cell therapy. Dr. LaRussa provides technical expertise and helps develop, guide and support the operation of the BMT-SCPFL.
William Tse, MD, FACP also serves as the Medical Director of the BMT-SCPFL
The BMT-SCPFL was established in 1988 and initiated apheresis collections in 1998. The laboratory is designated as an NMDP Apheresis Collection Center and is registered with the FDA and accredited by the Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy (FACT) since 1998.
BMT-SCPFL Faculty and Staff:
Cathey, Mark Cathey, BS, CLS (ASCP)
Fields, Helen, BS, MT (ASCP)
Heye, Mary, BS, MT (ASCP)
LaRussa, Vincent, Ph.D., Scientific Director
Nett, Allison, BA, Technical Coordinator
Tse, William, MD, FACP, Medical Director
Steinmetz, Joetta, MT(ASCP), Quality Management Supervisor-Data Analyst
BMT Clinic Nursing Staff
Adams, Dawn, RN
Davisdon, Pat, Unit Secretary
Dehart, LeAnn, RN
Dinh, Ha, RN
Lee, Tara, RN
Meier, Kari, RN
Miller, Villejo, Nursing Clinician
Speed, Veronica, Director of Outpatient MedOnc/BMT
Wallace, Carol, RN, Clinical Manager
Wilson, Karen, Nursing Clinician
Vincent, Becky, Nursing Clinician
Beyerle, Christina, Case Facilitator
Bowles, Nancy, Vice President, Brown Cancer Center Operations
Cole, Tracie, Department Support
McDermott, Bunny, Administrative Assistant
Stayton, Angela, Case Facilitator
Below is a list of all Bone Marrow Transplant and Hematological clinical trials open to enrollment at the Brown Cancer Center
- 15.0136(UofL) - Modular phase II study to link targeted therapy to patients with pathway activated tumors: Module 6 – BGJ398 for patients with tumors with FGFR (Fibroblastic growth factor receptor) genetic alterations.
- 15.0076 - A Phase II, randomized trial of standard of care, with or without midostaurin to prevent relapse following allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in patients with FLT3-ITD mutated acute myeloid leukemia.
- 14.0865 -A Phase 2, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study of Azacitidine with or without napant with a Single Arm Open-Label Run-In Phase in Subjects with Higher Risk Myelodysplastic Syndrome or Chronic Myelomonocytic Leukemia.
- 14.0365 - Pre and post treatment metabolomic analysis of leukemia, A translational clinical trial of the Brown Cancer Center.
- 14.0092 - A Phase II Study of A-dmDT390-bisFv(UCHT1) Fusion Protein in Patients with Cutaneous T Cell Lymphoma.
- 13.0239 - A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Phase 3 Trial to Evaluate the Protective Efficacy and Safety of a Therapeutic Vaccine, ASP0113, in Cytomegalovirus (CMV)-Seropositive Recipients Undergoing Allogeneic, Hematopoietic Cell Transplant (HCT).
- 12.0621 - WIRB 1144466 - A Phase 1, Open-Label, Dose Escalation, Multi-Center Study of ACT-PFK-158, 2HCl in Patients with Advanced Solid Malignancies.
- 12.0471 - A multicenter safety study of unlicensed, investigational cryopreserved cord blood units (CBUs) manufactured by the National Cord Blood Program (NCBP) and provided for unrelated hematopoietic stem cell transplantation of pediatric and adult patients.
- 11.0619 - Randomized Phase II Trial of Stereotactic Radiation Therapy (SRT) versus SRT plus Vertebral Augmentation Procedure (VAP) for Vertebral Metastasis.
- 11.0490 - Overcoming Chemotherapy Resistance In Refractory Multiple Myeloma with Simvastatin and Zoledronic Acid.
- 11.0445 - A multicenter access and distribution protocol for unlicensed cryopreserved cord blood units (CBUs) for transplantation in pediatric and adult patients with hematologic malignancies and other indications.
- 11.0307 - Studying Interventions For Managing Patients With Chronic Myeloid Leukemia In Chronic Phase: The 5-Year Prospective Cohort Study (Simplicity).
- 10.0642 - A Micro/Nano Device for Exhaled Breath Analysis.
- 10.0067 - Open Label Expanded Access for Investigational Use of PV-10 in Patients Who Are Not Eligible for an Existing PV-10 Clinical Trial, for Whom There is no Alternative Therapy, and Whom May Benefit From PV-10 Administration.
- 09.0599 - Phase II/III Study of Image-guided Radiosurgery/SBRT for Localized Spine Metastasis.
- 09.0036 - A Phase II Trial of Extended Interval Port Flushes.
- 08.0388 - Protocol for the Cancer Database and Specimen Repository (CDSR) at the James Graham Brown Cancer Center (Previous Lung Repository ).
- 03.0165 - NMDP Research Sample Repository for Allogeneic Unrelated Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation.
- 03.0158 - National Marrow Donor Program Research Database for Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation.